It's one month and counting to the ninth annual Freaks Ball, so might as well get my hordes of loyal readers on board! We've featured some great acts in the past, helping many get their start: Robert Randolph, The Duo, Apollo Sunshine, Ollabelle, Skerik & Mike Dillon, etc. This year's no different, in fact we're going international! Extra special incentive to come join us is that the Ball is on my birthday this year, so come to Brooklyn and help me celebrate 35 years of freakishness.
The Rodney Speed Experience will kick it off with some wild rock and roll. The main event will feature the Brit ubergrooves of the f'in New Mastersounds. Late night drunkenness will be accompanied by the face-flipping rawk of the back-in-action RANA. Good times.
Freaks Ball IX
January 10, 2009
- The New Mastersounds
- The Rodney Speed Experience (feat. Scott Boom Boom Metzger, Sir Joe Russo, Eddie Eyeball of 2 Skinnee Js, Phil Costello of Tragedy, Backyard Bill, Szuf Daddy of Tragedy, Ginger of the Wildhearts)
- and a special, rock your socks off late night set from RANA.
This show will sell out as the past few Balls have.
Some more links:
- follow the action on Facebook
- Download the funktastic NMS shows from Sullivan Hall last month (courtesy of the ubiquitous Scott Bernstein): night 1 and night 2
- My review of Rana's triumphant return
- Listen or download that Rana show (courtesy of Radio Johnson)
- Get a taste of the Rodney Speed Experience from their Mercury Lounge show earlier this fall.