This week seemed to revolve around a lot of those special someone's in OTW's musical wheelhouse, so the confluence of such pokes in the ribs will guide this week's links. Hang in there and I'll give y'all some tasty stuff to download... a couple laughs and your weekly reason to keep living, etc. all included.
- Wayne Krantz. Do I need to say more? Sometimes a musician, a music and a room combine to create something intrinsically otherworldly. Nothing compares to Krantz at the 55 Bar and Thursday -- tonight -- Wayne will play his last gig there. If you know, you know... if not, believe me. Nothing defines what it means when we say "New York City live music scene" more than crowding into 55 Christopher St. in anticipation of what galaxy Krantz (and preferably Lefebvre and Carlock in tow) might launch us into. Fare thee well!
- Here's a sick show from the K3 heydey to enjoy: disc 1 disc 2.
- Here are some old Krantz reviews I wrote when every Thursday night seemed to end at the 55 bar.
- Another NYC band that held fast to my soul for extended periods over the past 5 years was Rana. I wish I could say there was a Rana gig on the horizon, but alas! Thankfully, an historic epic Rana show was recently uploaded to YouTube in its entirety and it is quite the treat! This was the night the band was celebrating the release of their first album, Here in the USA (JJ throws out a track for you here) at the legendary CBGB's. This just happens to be the first time Rana dug their claws deep into me and didn't let go (I miss you!). See what you can make of this clip and check 'em all out here.
While I'm posting videos, I may as well veer sharply toward the hilarious... Triumph at the Tony's if you haven't seen this yet:
- Speaking of funny. You liked Arrested Develpment, right? Then you'll like this. My brother turned me on to Clark and Michael. The funniest in internet televison... do yourself a favor and check out an episode or 5.
- What are your feelings on the sausage wallet?
- Ferdmania reviews Wilco at the Warsaw in Brooklyn... my review here in case you missed it... plus a free music twofer review that slipped on by.
- I ate dinner here before the show. Sick Texas-style BBQ! This place essentially has a pink ring around its very existence. YUM! [brisket moist, beef ribs + some level 10 mac n cheese].
- And if you made it this far, here are some new show downloads for the faithful OTW reader.
- New Ned pimpee: St. Vincent. Here's the rest of that Mercury Lounge set that someone requested... and you all should grab. Short and sweet, when she's ruling the indie world, don't say I didn't warn you! Reviewed here.
- Widespread Panic in Albany from back in April (read listen part 1 part 2)
- Fiery Furnaces in Washington DC (courtesy of NPR) last year. They're playing the city this week... I hope to make it!