04 October 2007

Anniversary Edition

Staying meta with the links this week... I realized that over the weekend was the 1st anniversary of the OTW phenomenon sweeping my hard drive, so happy birthday to us. My goal for year number two is for some explosion of negative energy to erupt in the comments section, so welcome trolls.

Hopefully we'll finish 2007 strong... get my ass off the couch a few more times and after a month hiatus, expect a heavy dose of Phish and Panic Nedstalgia between now and December.

I also realized that I had hoped to follow up my first trimester report of my faves from the year thus far with a second one sometime at the end of August and totally spaced on that. So, with a quarter of the year left, here's what I've got for you. My CD purchasing/show going have really slowed down due to the real-life combination of insufficient funds and insufficient energy, but I'd love any recommendations you can muster... or any comments on the 1st year of the show here.

Here we have it...

Up to 55 shows in 42 nights, over 100 bands seen in 38 different venues with just under $750 spent on live music.

Top 10ish shows of the year thus far (links for reviews):

  1. Austin City Limits Festival @ Zilker Park, Austin TX
  2. Freaks Ball VII @ Southpaw
  3. Bustle In Your Hedgerow @ Temptress Cruise Ship
  4. Midlake, St. Vincent @ Bowery Ballroom
  5. Do Make Say Think, Berg Sans Nipple @ Bowery Ballroom
  6. Widespread Panic @ Bethel Woods
  7. Iron & Wine @ Town Hall
  8. Wilco @ Warsaw
  9. Rose Hill Drive @ Mercury Lounge
  10. Emergency Party @ Piano's
  11. Shanir Blumenkranz Group/Masada String Trio @ Abrons Arts Center
  12. !!! @ Bowery Ballroom
My top 10ish albums of the year thus far...
  1. The Bad Plus -- Prog
  2. St. Vincent -- Marry Me
  3. Marco Benevento -- Live at Tonic
  4. Do Make Say Think -- You, You're a History in Rust
  5. Iron & Wine -- The Shepherd's Dog
  6. Menomena -- Friend and Foe
  7. The Arcade Fire -- Neon Bible
  8. Apostle of Hustle -- National Anthem of Nowhere
  9. Wayne Krantz -- Your Basic Live 06
  10. The Sea and Cake -- Everybody
  11. Neil Young -- Live at Massey Hall
  12. Of Montreal -- Hissing Fauna...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is what I've been listening to this year, though I don't think they all came out in 2007. What can I say, I like to be fashionably late...

Cold War Kids - Robbers & Cowards
White Stripes - Icky Thump
Silversun Pickups - Carnavas
B.R.M.C. - Baby 81
Delta Spirit - I Think I found it

Anonymous said...

finally, i can take off the kid gloves. uhm...st vincent...i don't get it. granted my only experience is what you have made available to download, but where's the vocal range. most of it sounds like she's talking, and when she does sing, it's like my mom singing along to 'peter, paul & mary'. the other day i saw an ipod commercial and hoped the singer might be the aforementioned, but alas the song was much too happy and ended up being some chick who's name sounded like something out of a zappa lyric. and the song selection: nico-pretty predictable, and who really wants fair skin?
maybe it's all in her guitar chops.

sweaty duece